Highbury Park forms the middle section of the road that links Stroud Green to Canonbury, the sections at each end named Blackstock Road and Highbury Grove respectively.
On the western side of Highbury Park, either side of Sotheby Road, there are two elegant terraces of shops. Remnants of a vitreous enamel sign at the southern end show this was created as The Broadway, Highbury Park, part of a larger development constructed 1894-97 that included the residential streets at the rear.
Above No.86 there is an Islington green plaque commemorating James Edmondson, the man behind the scheme, who had offices here. This development was one of Edmondson’s first large scale projects and its success enabled him to use it as a template for shopping broadways elsewhere, such as in nearby Crouch End, Muswell Hill and Golders Green.