Up and Down upper street: Angel and the heart of Islington
At the heart of Islington is Upper Street, the borough’s main road and liveliest thoroughfare. Upper Street was once part of the main route for drovers bringing livestock
At the heart of Islington is Upper Street, the borough’s main road and liveliest thoroughfare. Upper Street was once part of the main route for drovers bringing livestock into Smithfield Market in the City of London. Islington comprised Upper Street, Essex Road (formerly Lower Street/Lower Road) and a lot of fields until the 18th century.
The gateway to Upper Street is Angel, a name which has come to denote this whole quarter. On this walk from Angel station, you will gain insights into the street’s many facets:
• Learn how the tube station, and the area, got its name.
• Hear echoes of forgotten tramways, waterways and cattle droving routes.
• See the church that distils Islington’s history in a single building and two contrasting theatres.
• Find out about Islington’s takeover of the former borough of Finsbury.
• Discover a hidden garden most locals don’t even know; and Upper Street’s newest public space.
The walk lasts approximately two hours. Please be prepared for all weather conditions!
(Sunday) 14:30 - 16:30
Islington High Street, London, N1 8XB